Sunday 26 August 2012

To begin with...

For me writing and art have always functioned separately. Writing was writing, and art was art- and both stayed within a fairly traditional set up of art for the gallery space, and writing, well, it mostly stayed on paper. I completely missed the boat on the digitisation of art and writing, which makes this entire blogging endeavour a bit more interesting for me, especially at this time in my work. For a long long time, I  worked a particular way, a more formal way, using art abstractly and so focusing more on lines, shapes and colours, thereby evoking associations within the viewer. This is a very formalist approach to art making. Lately, I find myself drawn to certain images and objects, which I find interesting and effective as visual metaphors. I have been tempted to use them more and more frequently in my work. With this strange and exciting new work forming in my mind and in my studio, I am very very glad to have this blogging venue to write down and catalogue my thoughts as I make the work. Now, the writing will make sense of this newly evolving style and thus inform the painting further, making for clearer vision, and thus more writing and painting. A slow to start but deliciously circular wheel of thought, creation and reflection. I hope you, as a reader finds this interesting as well.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's fantastic, both the writing and also for effortlessly carrying the reader with you while you go through your creative journey.
    Please do continue writing and allow me a rare glimpse of the creative churning in your heart and mind.
    My best, as always,
    Jeh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having been involved in theatre I never fully appreciated the 'The Loneliness of being an Artist' - if I can call it that!

    Thank you for allowing me a rare glimpse into your thoughts and feelings. Your deeply incisive and descriptive writing made it even more palpable.

    More strength to you.

    Love, always,
    Jeh.

    ReplyDelete